Powdery Mildew? Not sure!

opulidoMay 2, 2013

Greetings,

IâÂÂm a newbie gardener, this is my first year and IâÂÂd like to seek the advice or an explanation for the following potential issue I have with my zucchini plant. I noticed a white substance growing from the edge of the leaf towards the center of the leaf. IâÂÂve heard of powdery mildew, but from the pictures IâÂÂve seen online, PM is more of a spot-like formation. Anyway, IâÂÂm not sure what I have on my zucchinis��"or if itâÂÂs normal. IâÂÂve posted a picture, and IâÂÂd appreciate a possible explanation from some of the more experienced gardeners here.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opulido

I should also note that this plant went into the raised bed two days ago. Before transplant, this white stuff was not present; in fact, I have two other zucchini plants that are the same age but still in their pots without this white stuff present. The night I placed this particular plant into the soil I did water, but was relatively careful not to wet the leaves. Temperatures at night have been mid 50's.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 7:01PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

More likely environmental stress. Was it hardened off prior to planting? Even if you did, what were the weather conditions following planting -- you know, heat, light, wind, etc.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 7:45PM
opulido

@ Jean001a:

It was hardened off. And as for the weather conditions following transplant: 90 degree weather and very strong winds (30-40 mph).

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:32PM
woohooman

Powdery mildew on cucurbits where I'm at normally doesn't happen until the plants are adults and in the middle of summer when it's hot and humid.

Kevin

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 1:42AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Powdery Mildew is more a problem when the weather is hot and dry then when hot and humid.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Powdery Mildew

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 7:18AM
opulido

Thank you everybody for all the responses!

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 7:13PM
woohooman

kimmsr: I'm sure UC Davis knows what they're talking about and PM can affect some veggies without humidity-- much like to my snow peas just within the last month. But I deal with it EVERY year and from my experience with cucurbits, it doesn't get bad until it gets humid along with the heat of summer.

Kevin

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 1:06AM
More Discussions
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™