Green Flying Bugs and Spidermites?

bhutMay 14, 2009

I have 3 outdoor pepper plants being ravaged right now. I took them outside a couple hours a day and they are now outside all the time. There are 1 cm holes on some of the larger leaves and I ALWAYS see flying green/silvery insects landing on the leaves. What are these? Their COLOR looks kinda metallic like a japanese beetle, but their body shape looks like a gnat.

Also I seen what seems to be spidermites? I only seen 1 bug underneathe a leaf (NO WHITE SPOTTING seen though) and its belly has 1 black circle on it, it was pretty big as well, I would say about the size of a small perlite rock/sand and there were spiderwebs on the plant it was on. I cant take a picture because I sprayed pyrethrum on the pepper plants. I thought spidermites only really infested INDOOR plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Spider mites infest outdoor plants as well as indoor. But the description of your one critter doesn't match mites.

Doubt if the "gnats" are making the holes. Look for caterpillars, or if they're in your region slugs and/or snails.

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 7:54PM
bhut

there were spiderwebbing in between nodes and under leaf

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 1:25AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The 'gnat' shaped, metallic insects might be one of the long-legged flies, a beneficial animal.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™