Ants on my hummingbird feeders ....

janie58(5a)May 21, 2010

Hi all,

Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep ants off hummingbird feeders? I have my feeder suspended from a metal plant hanger (curved hook on a 5 foot metal pole buried in the dirt) that the ants climb up on and then crawl down onto the feeder. I have tried rubbing vasoline on the pole, spraying the pole with cooking spray or cooking oil, but that doesn't seem to stop the ants from reaching the feeders. Any suggestions would be a great help. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Put tanglefoot, grease, or any long lasting sticky stuff at the base of the pole. You could also use the cap of an aerosol can (spray paint or whatever) that has two chambers (one for over the nozzle and one over the can). Drill a hole in the middle of the inner chamber just big enough for the wire of the feeder and slip the cap on. Fill the outer chamber with water to act as a moat...if you remember to keep it full. Tough to put into words, maybe I'll snap a pic.

tj

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 10:19PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Duct tape and Tanglefoot.

Dan

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 11:21AM
kathi_mdgd

I take my feeder down and while it's down i spray the pole(shepards hook) with Pam,ya know the stuff you use in the kitchen when cooking!! LOL It works like a charm,and i've been doing it this way for years.Only have to do it 2 or 3 times a year.
Kathi

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™