Worm Bin, year 2
I survived a whole year with my worm bin. It worked, but I think I kept it too dry. I didn't have drainage holes in that bin because I didn't want to have to deal with drainage in the house.
I babysat the "mommy" bin again this summer. Her bin was TEEMING with worms. So much so, that one of the first things I did was split the bin into two. That's when I realized I wasn't doing as good a job as I could have!
This summer has been cool enough, that I have left them on the front porch most of the time. Just before I left on vacation I noticed my bin was teeming with black soldier fly larvae. I had stepped up my feeding :) Apparently too much. I didn't know what to do, but I knew it was supposed to get really hot, so I dragged two of the bins inside the house. The third one went to my caterpillar raising family to give them another project.
When I came home from vacation I found strange, dried slime trails and dead BSFL on the floor. Ewww. Cleaned those up and banished the worms bins back outside. It's been cool enough since then, that I have left them out there. Apparently some of the larvae must have lived. I've been finding dead adult BS flies every evening when I get home from work. Yuck.
Tomorrow that bin is going to be dumped out, save a few worms, and send the rest to the compost pile.
I may just satisfy myself with babysitting worms and leave the full time worm bins to my friend :)
This post was edited by lisa_h on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 22:43