Butia capitata x Jubaea chilensis

Tristan PiersonJune 9, 2014

Has anyone seen or grown this palm before? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Butia capitata x Jubaea chilensis seems to be a winner. It's hardier than a Butia, faster growing than a Jubaea, very large, and most impressive. I think it has a good shot at growing here. Although less common than mule palm, this hybrid has been done numerous times in the past and is sporadically available through mail order and other sources. Butia x Jubaea is frequently, but not always, self-fertile, capable of producing its own F2 hybrid seedlings.

Taken from desert northwest

http://www.desertnorthwest.com/articles/cocoid_hybrids.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kinzyjr

While I would hesitate to say anything is impossible, a feather leaf palm in zone 6b without protection might be a little bit much. Near the coast in the PNW (zone 8a and up), I believe a few of these can grow already.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 10:21PM
Tristan Pierson

I'm not wanting to grow it here. I was trying to figure out if it could grow in Brookings Oregon which is zone 9b I think. I was wondering if they can live in a place with cool summers or if they need heat to grow.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:52PM
kinzyjr

Sorry, I misunderstood. Certainly on the coast, they should grow very well.

I believe Jubaea chilensis is either the most cold hardy feather palm, or very near the top of the list. It actually prefers the cooler west coast climates, and will not make it over here on my side of the continent.

Mixing it with Butia might make it more tolerant of our conditions on the east coast, but either plant would survive in 9b, so it stands to reason that their offspring will as well.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 7:37PM
Tristan Pierson

I always thought they had to be the same variety or something to cross pollinate? Are Jelly Palms and Chilean Wine Palms related?

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 1:45AM
Tristan Pierson

Jubaea chilensis (Chilean Wine Palm)
It is a palm reaching heights of 82 ft with a trunk up to 4.3 ft in diameter at the base.
It's leaves are pinnate.
The tree grows very slowly.
It needs mild winters, but will tolerate frosts down to about 5 *F as well as relatively cool summers, making it one of the hardiest of pinnate-leaved palms.

Butia capitata (Jelly Palm)
This palms grows to about 19 feet in a slow but steady manner.
Identifiable by it's feather palm pinnate leaves that arch inwards towards a thick stout trunk.
Butia capitata is notable as one of the hardiest feather palms.
Tolerates temperatures down to about 14 *F

Sounds like those two would make a good hybrid.
If anyone is growing one I'd love to see it.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 2:13AM
eriktampabay

Butia x jubaea is surviving fine in Northern CA It should do fine there. They are in the same family. Along with Syagrus and Parajubaea. I just received some pollen of Parajubaea Sunkha and will be crossing it with Butia Odorata.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
Needle Palm Spearpull
I planted a needle palm last year and it overwintered...
i_like_pi
This new format sucks!
I think I'm done posting here.
bradleyo_gw
Chinese fan palm suddenly stopped producing fronds
Hi, we have a fully grown Chinese fan palm in our garden....
tomdanlowe
Keeping Majestic Palm HELP
How to keep Majestic Palm alive in Northern Virginia...every...
marie13100
New coconuts
Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum and have an...
coconutman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™