Is my Washingtonia Robusta dying?!

RichardC7(6b-7a)June 11, 2012

Hi guys! I'm new to this Forum, and love it! but i have one BIG problem, my Washingtonia palm looks as if its dying!!! I tugged on the top new ffrond, and it wasnt loose, which means its not completly dead yet. could i have over watered it? i watered it daily.... is that too much? :( I had also notice that i saw many "pincher bugs" not too far from it, could they be destroying the roots?! i put some homemade food on the palm when it began too.... heres the link: http://www.ehow.com/how_5235029_make-enhance-growth-rate-palm.html

As instructed, i put 1 ounce of it per gallon of water.... it has HELPED my banana trees.... BTW does anyone know how big my musa basjoo will get this year? they are maybe a foot tall! thanks! and will they get bigger next year?!

i bought the palm from Willis Orchards BTW.... and i live near Pittsburgh :)

I attached an image below

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericthehurdler(NOR CAL 9a)

you are definately over watering and perhaps over fertilizing. youd be better off watering it once a week, maybe less. and washingtonias dont need much fertilizer maybe twice a year.
as for the bannana, you can expect it to grow about 3-6 feet in one year.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 11:25AM
arctictropical(Z4)

Washingtonia are pretty much desert palms, so watering it once per week is plenty! Maybe once per week is too much. You can see them growing like weeds in Las Vegas in dry cracks along the sidewalks and roads, and they hardly get ANY moisture, ever. When in doubt, purchase an inexpensive soil moisture meter and only water it when it's getting close to being dry. Never water it if the moisture meter still says "wet". Good luck!

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 3:05PM
arctictropical(Z4)

Unlike the Washingtonia, musa and ensete can take a fair amount of fertilizer. Best to give them a diet of fertilizer on a regular basis like every month. They tend to do very well if you give them an organic fertilizer like Milorganite. You really can't burn them by giving them too much Milorganite.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
growing Dypsis lutescens indoors bad idea?
I hear they are really bad indoor plants, What is ideal...
YouthGarden
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™