cherry tree dying

sunshinetm(z5 MI)May 31, 2007

This is a 2 year old sweet cherry tree DH has. It appeared fine one day & within a couple days this is what it looks like. All of his other fruit trees in his area are fine. Also, should I cut off all the branches & try to save it like that? Sugestions welcome. Thanks, Terri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanybob(Northern Idaho)

The top appears to be dead or nearly so. There are a couple of healthy sprouts near the base, which suggests that the problem might be in the stem. This probably is a grafted tree which means that if the sprouts grow from below the graft, they will not grow to be the cherry variety you bought. If this is so, then I don't think there is anything here to save. :-(

Are there any symptoms you can see on the trunk? Any physical damage, boring, or diseased areas (cankers)? As this tree is fairly young, it is possible that the problem had something to do with the way it was planted. To find out you will have to dig up the tree and see how deep the roots are and what their condition is. This might be a good idea because if the problem is planting related, you don't want to make the same mistake again.

If you have any additional photos -- trunk or roots -- please post those as well.

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™