Suggestions on "politely" getting rid of the birds!!!

RPost78(8A)May 5, 2014

I have two issues! I have a parrot and his food attracts birds. I can't get around that, but I'd really like it if the birds would stay off my porch. I have tried the fake snakes and that doesn't work. The birds poop on them! Any suggestions?

Next issue: The mocking birds are wreaking havoc on my strawberries! I'd greatly appreciate it if they'd find another place to have a buffet. Any suggestions on getting rid of them? I have thought of building a cage to put around my strawberries, but that may not be easy for me to do!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The only way to keep those unwanted birds away from the porch is to eliminate all sources of food.
To keep birds away from any plant you need to cage those plants with something that the birds cannot get through, but pollinators can. Floating Row Covers, anti bird netting, small mesh (1/4 inch) chicken fencing, etc.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 7:57AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

A fake owl perched above the porch would work for a while, but only for a while, and might freak out your parrot too.

A worse alternative is a sound cannon.

Good luck,
Dennis

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 12:16PM
RPost78(8A)

Glad you mentioned the pollinators! I was so into keeping the birds off my strawberries that I hadn't even thought of the pollinators! Boy, that would have been bad! Thanks!

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Question for the 'Regular' contributors
I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™