Holes in leaves

bhaFaMay 8, 2012

I see irregular holes in leaves of all my plants. The plants are of different kinds: few rose plants, few tomato plants, a green chili plant. I do not see any insects on these plants. What can I do to find the type of insect that is eating these leaves and how to control it?

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'll suggest that you go out into the gardens after dusk, with a flashlight. Many chewing pests can be found easier after dark. Get in there with your hands, turning the leaves upside down and examining stems, etc.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 10:27PM
Mona_Lisa_67(8)

I have it too. Could it be caterpillars, do they do that?

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 11:24PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

As a rule any caterpillar that might be munching on plant leaves will stay put and not wander off. However, slugs and snails will do that. Irregular holes suggest slugs or snails because most beetles, or bees, that would munch on leaves usually leave fairly neat, round holes. Some of the images on the web site linked are pretty extreme examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slug/snail damage to plant leaves

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 7:25AM
JimR36(5b CO)

Pests sure do like tomatoes. That always seems to be favorite of the various plants that I grow.

There are potentially multiple pests causing the holes in the leaves. rhizo_1's right about looking under the leaves. If you just look at the top, you'll probably miss most of them.

I mostly encounter caterpillars doing the damage, but do see damage also from various beetles and sawflies.

Look around the plants, including underside of the leaves, and at different times of the day (and night). If you see anything, take pictures. That will get you going in the right direction.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™