Leaf Miners are messing with my Bell Peppers

EcopalMay 17, 2012

Hey Everybody

Does anyone know if I can deter leaf miners with vegetable oil? I just had to remove a bunch of leaves from my bell pepper plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Not with vegetable oil but Neem oil may make them think twice about laying eggs.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 11:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Floating Row Covers can be used to keep the adult Wasps, Moths, Sawflies, Flies, etc. that lay the eggs that hatch into the larva that tunnels into the leaves. Some Neem Oil products might act as deterents or possibly kill the larva as they hatch and before they enter the leaf. Traps, meant to attract the adults, can also work.
Except for plants that you eat the leaves most damage done by Leaf Miners can be cosmetic with no real reason to remove the leaves from the plant.
Many people think that because Neem Oil Products are "natural" they are safe, but like any other pesticide due care in use is needed since these peoducts are broad spectrum and can kill off beneficial insects as well as any pests. I have even noted some refer to Neem Oil products as non toxic, and yet they kill insects so they are not non toxic to those insects.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 7:02AM
More Discussions
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™