little tiny worms on lilac

ladyhawkeMay 13, 2011

I just noticed some tiny little worms on my 2nd year lilac shrub. I also noticed some of the leaves had some brown spots on them. The last time I checked, everything appeared to be so healthy and green. Does anyone know why or what is causing them and what I can use to eliminate them. I hope this doesn't mean I won't be getting any blooms this year. I only had one big one last year and was really hoping to get more this year. Thanks. Ladyhawke

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Does anyone know why or what is causing them and what I can use to eliminate them.

Not with info provided. Pix help. And lilacs take several years to bloom well after planting.

Dan

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 9:32PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

If any damage being caused is only cosmetic there is no good reason to "eliminate" these insect larva. My Lilacs often have leaf miner damage which does, in reality, minor harm to the leaves and does not warrent any means of control. Only you can determine if what is there is harming the plant more then is good for the plant, but most of the time the damage is just cosmetic and there is no need to take control measures. Almost all of the "pest" control sprays sold are very broad spectrum and will also poison the beneficial insects that may be predating on those wee thingys you are seeing as pests.

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 8:32AM
ladyhawke

Thank you, kimmsr. I was concerned because I didn't want anything to interfere with it's blooming. Dan Staley mentioned that lilacs take several years to bloom and I had one bloom last year, it's first year. Was hoping for more this year. Did't want anything to jeopardize that.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™