What's Eating My Bean Plants?

applebuilder(North Orange County (SoCal))May 15, 2009

I had an earlier post about seeing some possible mites around my bean plants, and now this. I highly doubt mites are doing this. Any ideas? I don't know if snails eat bean leaves but I'm going to check for them tonight. In the meantime any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Yes, snails eat leaves. So do caterpillars. Go out about 10 or 11 PM and look.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 10:46PM
applebuilder(North Orange County (SoCal))

I heard of some methods to deter snails (egglshells, cloche etc.), but not caterpillars. Are there any simple ways to keep them out of my container or off my plants? I have a tomato plant mulched with pine needles right next to the beans and they haven't been touched. You think some of that same mulch will benefit my beans? It's really time to thin the seedlings as well, I'm just worried the cuts will attract more pests.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 11:16PM
maifleur01

Do you have any yellow beetles on your plants. They normally have stripes. If so they are probably what is eating your beans.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 12:53AM
the_gurgler(DFW TX 7b Sunset 33)

I have some similar damage from spotted cucumber beetles. each stage of life of this pest feed on your plants. There are lots of ways to control this pest. Ladybugs, mantids, green lacewings, and Neem to name a few organic controls.

I would check your plants at night to find out what the most likely culprit is. It can be very informative.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:48PM
applebuilder(North Orange County (SoCal))

Thanks for the advice. Didn't find anything the other night but I'll keep looking. Good news is no further damage for today. Just to make sure, the beetles come out at night as well?

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 11:10PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

That looks to me more like what a cutter bee would do.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 7:54AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Leafcutter bees make perfectly round holes, either full or partial circles. They tend to prefer rose leaves.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 12:19PM
skinnyhoops(9B Altamonte Springs, FL)

applebuilder, my guess it could be snails or some kind of leaf eating worm. Snails you can use Sluggo, just sprinkle it on the ground and it's very effective. For leaf eating worms, I use BT Worm Killer from Green Light Co. Any worm that takes a bite of your plants will be sentenced to death. :)

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 10:04PM
shenvalley

My tomatoes, beans, squash, and cucumbers are virtually gone thanks to some critter. I have found no tracks or traces (bunny poop). I checked at night and saw no signs of worms, snails, or other insects. Whatever it is has done significant damage. I've gone from about 100 bean plants down to a half dozen. Strange thing too is I had string between stakes for the pole beans to climb and something broke (or gnawed through) three of the lowest strands of string. My giant garden is almost gone.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 10:35PM
joanshelby_yahoo_com

Shenvalley, could be racoon, rat, posom? Maybe, armadillo if you live in armadillo country. What a loss for you. That black plastic netting surrounding your beds may deter other critters. They know they can get horribly tangled up in it. Keeps my chickens out.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Question for the 'Regular' contributors
I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™