Palm Frond

eemedrelytJune 3, 2010

My Washingtonia Robusta had a new frond growing, and I noticed that it was appearing brown. It grew some more and then I noticed it started growing green again(like the top half of the frond green, then a brown line from side to side in the middle and then the bottum half green). The frond just rips and bends back and forth form the brown line. I cut the frond all the way down to the brown spot since it would have ripped off from a windy day. Is this just like some weird defective growing? I know the palm aint dead, since i pulled on the frond it didnt come out, and the remaining part of the frond is green.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brooklyngreg(7a NYC coastal plain)

Its probably old winter damage growing out. Indicating the palm needs some more winter protection.

I would not cut it off as a rule because even the brown is not going to tear from wind like you suspect. The palm needs some recovery time and care - like fertilizer.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 2:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
james760

i agree, i have a few just like that of what you described. if your temp. got pretty low this past winter it would be the cause of this! maybe below 25*F or so. mine got down to 20*F this past winter & a few in the pots had this but none in the ground! it should bounce back really quick with all the hot weather lately!

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 1:46AM
More Discussions
Sago Palm out of control!
I have 3 sago palms that started as nice small plants....
kkupsh
Cycas Revoluta - only two shoots
Hello, I am new here, and I have a question about a...
oxford_pictionary
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
Palm ID
Hi, might anyone id these palms? I had asked my landscaper...
reyetwinger
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™