Do I have a disease or is it something else?

fatal_fataliiMay 21, 2010

I bought some of those 16 gallon blue rope totes from the garbage can section of HD and have planted some tomatoes and pole beans in them (not in the same container); however the leaves are yellowing, and the plant does not seem to be doing all that good even though I have used MG and supersoil[brand] potting mixes.

Is it overwatering; underwatering; or something else?

It seemes like no matter what I do those blue rope totes will not support maters or pole beans.

Any help is appreciated and I will try to update with pics.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Do they have drain holes? If not, that's likely the problem.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 1:04AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The two brands of potting medium you've mentioned just happen to be associated with poor plant performance in these forums. I believe it's because many people find it difficult to master how to water properly with a fine textured mix.

Other than that, and the drainage situation that Jean mentioned, we can't really determine if you are watering too much or too little. Only you can!

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 7:08AM
fatal_fatalii

YES; I do have 5 holes of about 1/2 inch diameter in the totes.

Do you think I need more holes, or would MG 'moisture control' soil be a better choice.

It just seems odd to me as I also have a mater in a 18in planter [non-blue rope tote] that is quite green. Besides a few yellow-ish leaves on the plant that are few and far inbetween; it is not a real problem as the tree is making maters.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 12:48PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Well, there is no way to tell whether you are under-or over-watering, as there is no info given about moisture levels.

o 5 holes from a 1/2 drill bit is plenty.

o I prefer SuperSoil as there is no vermiculite in it, but it needs supplemental fert, like most potting mixes do IMHO; all my container soils are mixed by me and SuperSoil is the base.

o The soil temp might be too high for beans and you may want to shade the pots - blue is pretty dark. I don't do pole beans in containers any more as they never work - too hard for moisture and soil critter control. Bush only if I do it.

Dan

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™