How hard is it to grow peppers in Texas, for a 1st time gardener?

jamsbioMarch 19, 2009

Hi... i'm looking to set up a small garden in my backyard, nothing big, but enough to grow some veggies.

I live in Texas, and it is going to start to get very hot soon, will this be a problem? What other veggies could I grow here in this region? I have alot of squirrels in my area, do you think they will hurt anything that I grow?

Are there any tips you think i could benefit from? Thanks, in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reyna1(Zone 8)

i had chiltepin that withstood 100+ degree weather
they wilt a little in the direct heat but then perk up in the evening.

i normally try to keep them in containers so i can move them around so they dont get too much direct sun.

other than that, shouldnt be too hard to grow peppers in Texas.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 5:32PM
xenobleps(z4 MN)

My family grew them for years in San Antonio. Jalapeno and Serano mainly. We did have chiletepins growing all over the place, but we didn't know what they were for several years.

We grew them in the ground with good compost and sand ammendments to the primarily caliche soil.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 1:29AM
bigoledude(SE Louisiana)

I just spent considerable time trying to ascertain the effects of high temps on different peppers, both "hot" and "sweet".

That thread is just below and is titled;

"How will extreme heat and high humidity effect my peppers?"

Most seem to agree that the bells are tough to grow in the hottest part of summer. I just purchased some seed of the "bell type" Keystone Giant. The feed-store guy was confident they would perform in the heat. It's only seeds-n-time! And water, fertilizer, compost,.. did I mention time?

We're not supposed to discuss a whole lot about "Other Vegetables" here in pepper land. So here's the short version; These should do well for you; Cucumbers, melons, okra, peas, amaranth, collards, eggplant (the long, skinny oriental types are more productive in heat). Others include Jerusalem artichokes, Malabar spinach, New Zealand spinach, peanuts, hot peppers, and sweet peppers like Banana, Gypsy and Cubanelle should perform better than the bell types. Sweet potatoes enjoy the heat along with Swiss chard (with some shade), tomatillo and tomato. There are now many specific heat-tolerant tomatoes such as Heatwave, Solar Set and Sunleaper....

The Yardlong bean (asparagus bean) flourishes in the heat of summer and is as unusual as it is delicious.

Of course, you should check with your local Cooperative Extention Service for more info.

For more "other vegetable" questions, go to "Vegetable Gardening".

Click on my username, then my "trade list" and email me with something you'd like to have, your address and, I'll send it to you New Guy.

Ray

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 2:43AM
More Discussions
Failed Germination: Anyone have spare seeds they'd like to spare?
Hey everyone. First time being on here since last season,...
tom1992
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
YELLOW ghost pepper???
We had 4 ghost pepper plants on the deck all summer...
zelicindy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™