Drying corn on the cob for the squirrels

ellens_joy(NE okla)August 2, 2008

We have some sweet corn that got too mature to bother freezing. Can you dry sweet corn and if so can anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks Ellen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
river22(Z6 OK)

If you are drying it for the squirrels, I'll let mine know and they can head your way.LOL. They have already cleaned our walnut tree out.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 4:52PM
plantermunn

In the fields they just let the corn hang on the stalk till it is dry.

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 8:42AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Some people let it dry on the stalks in the fields as Plantermunn said above. Others pull up the stalks by the roots and hang up the plants, upside down, in a dry location (like a garage or barn) to dry naturally. In the "olden days" you could buy a wire rack to hang ears on so they would dry. One rack held maybe 8 to 12 ears.

I've never dehydrated corn on the cob, but it probably could be done at a lower temperature, probably no higher than 140 degrees. If you dry it at a higher temperature, the kernels would dry very quickly, but the inner part of the cob probably wouldn't and the moisture the cob retained could make the corn cobs rot from the inside out.

If you don't have a food dehydrator or convection oven, you probably could put the ears on a cookie sheet and dry them in the oven at the lowest speed possible--which would be significantly lower than the lowest temperature that shows on most oven temperature knobs. On my previous stove, the oven would heat up to 200 degrees if I set it at "warm", so I'd turn the dial down a bit lower than that to get the oven to about 140-160.

And, you might want to ask this question at the Harvest Forum here at Garden Web. There are some people on that forum who do a lot of food dehydration.

Good Luck,

Dawn

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Aloe Vera: free to good home
I have offered free plants on Edmond Freecycle before,...
c1nicolei
asparagus is up
Went out to plant corn and peas and noticed I had about...
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma
My Onions Are IN, now about snakes...
Thank you, Ms Dawn. Sorry for the late reply to your...
luvabasil1
pine shavings yes or no
I have access to alot of pine shavings/bedding from...
luvncannin
Onion question...
I haven't been on here in awhile....I couldn't sign...
ilovetoplant
Sponsored Products
Besa Lighting | Tomas Wall Sconce
$148.50 | YLighting
Nesco FD-1010 American Harvest FD-1010 Gardenmaster Food Dehydrator
Overstock.com
Aderyn Candy Pink 18 x 18 Paisley Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Mamagreen | Oko Single Lounger, Wood
YLiving.com
Cascade Wall Sconce
Lightology