OK State Fall Garden Planting Guide

Okiedawn OK Zone 7August 5, 2014

I've linked the OSU Fall Garden Planting Guide below for the use of everyone who is planting an edible garden for fall harvest. It has the recommended planting dates for most of the crops that we grow for a fall/winter harvest here.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Fact Sheet: Fall Gardening

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hazelinok(7)

Thank you!

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:58AM
cncncrew

Thank-you, Dawn!! That really helped me out!!

Connie

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 1:01PM
lcdollar

They say about seed use, to store seed in the freezer. Is that the best place ?

I still have tomatoe seed that I got from Johnny's Select, should I have that in the freezer ?

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 4:48PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Y'all are welcome. It is about that time of the year so I wanted to remind everyone of the OSU-recommended planting dates.

Yes, the freezer is the best place to store seed long-term. It will last for many years when properly stored in an airtight container. Just remember that when you take the container of seeds out of the refrigerator, you should let it sit unopened on a flat surface at room temperature until it warms up to room temperature. Doing that helps ensure condensation will not form on the seeds which then can ruin them or at least greatly reduce their germination rate when you plant them. The long-term seed storage vaults used by various organizations to store seeds away "forever" in case some disaster kills everything all use very sophisticated cold storage to maintain the viability of the seeds in their vaults.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 7:10PM
luvncannin

I am so glad to be learning something new, that is why I enjoy this site.
So if I have a lot seed in glass jars would I just put them in frig or freezer or cool storage?
And is a glass jar ok for this type of storage?
I get a lot of glass jars and the seeds look so nice and I don't have to worry about mice getting into my seeds so that is why my saved seeds are stored this way. I will change for sure if its not the best way. thank you all
kim

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 7:41PM
chickencoupe

Thanks for that, Dawn. Really. The REMINDER of how far behind I am ............. :D

I've decided I abhor trying to start seeds at this time of year and it's cool this year.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 1:06AM
More Discussions
Question on my potatoes
I planted the first week of April. They're strong and...
chickencoupe
Zone 7 Ranunculus???
Does anyone in 7a have any experience growing ranunculus...
oklahomegrown
Cover crops that help with root rot
I just listened to a soil health talk on the web. My...
johnnycoleman
Exp with Bearberry in Oklahoma?
Looking for experience growing bearberry in Oklahoma....
chickencoupe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™