Oversummering Pepper Plants?

johnweh(10 Boca Raton FL)March 1, 2011

I've read many messages about overwinterig pepper plants. I have the opposite situation in my neck of the woods. It's so hot & humid here in south Florida during the summer that the pepper plants have trouble surviving. Although I do have 1 serrano from a year ago, the others have sadly pasted away.(RIP) Does anyone have any tips on getting peppers to make through Florida summers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smokemaster_2007

Shade cloth.
From late June to Aug. here it's 90+ degrees but dry.
Going to bigger pots and using shade cloth works for me but you get the afternoon rains a lot.
I use green 80% stuff.
I think the bigger pots kept the roots from cooking and also held more water longer-less watering etc.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 6:51PM
romy6(9)

I also live in Florida and I pit all my plants under a giant oak tree from june til september. Try letting them get sun in the early morning .That mid day sun will fry them . Once they are big enough they do not require much direct sunlight.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 7:08PM
johnweh(10 Boca Raton FL)

I'll consider the shade cloth. A couple of concerns are the high winds we have & how to secure it. Also, I had a plague of tobacco hornworms last year that even with twice a day inspections they ate half my peppers & tomatoes. The shade cloth might make it hard to spot the hornworms before it's to late. I still have at least 3 months to formulate a plan. All of the peppers are in containers so I could put them in shadier areas of my yard. I'm starting to experiment with planting in homemade growbags & I've found that the soil temps are around 25 degrees cooler than black plastic nursery pots. They do require more watering, but I like the drainage better.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 7:27PM
noisebeam(9)

My plants are in the hot desert sun. Shade cloth will help keep them healthy.

I have never lost an established plant due to heat, even ones in full 118F sun for days.

They will wilt so they look like dead, but as soon as they get shade they perk up again.

Of course they will not set fruit until it cools down

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 3:25PM
smokemaster_2007

Paint your pots white if you have heat problems with the soil/roots also place them behind somethig so the pots(not plants) get no direct sun.A chunk of plywood,cardboard whatever.
For any kind of caterpillar type thing I've found that Caterpillar killer bio stuff works great for me.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/caterpillar-killer.html

Shop around I find prices varry GREATLY for this stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: caterpillar killer

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
Pepper plant wilting
Not sure what's going on here. This plant nearly died...
uncle_flip
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
I had it bookmarked
It looks like it is the whole enchilada, not that cut...
ronnyb123
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™