Lifecycle Growth Questions

kosherbaker(LA CA-10)March 13, 2011

Hello Everyone.

Here are a couple of pictures of my Purple Tiger that I got through a seed exchange with a local fellow noob gardener here in LA. :) I sprouted it in a 3oz cup, in planting soil that is sold dehydrated and you add water to it to rehydrate it. Sorry am not sure what it is called. Anyway, after it sprouted I transferred it into its current home which is a 16oz cup with some Miracle Grow Organic potting mix. The little guy has not really grown in at least the last 2 - 3 weeks. Which brings me to the reason for this post. I'd like to find out the following.

1. Plants seem to hate being repotted, should repotting be kept to a minimum? Or is there a right and a wrong way to do this? Aside from being gentle of course and not touching the roots.

2. What is the best schedule/timeline for repotting/moving? Is it based on size or number of days?

3. What size of the container would be ideal?

4. What kind of soil and nourishment would be ideal? Organic if possible.

Lastly, I couldn't find a whole lot on the fruit/pod itself. 3 different sites give 3 different SHU ratings :) and not much info on their flavor. So for those of you that have grown it and don't mind sharing the info, I'd be very happy to read it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Rudy

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x384/rgireyev/?action=view&current=PurpleTigerTop.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x384/rgireyev/PurpleTigerSide.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kosherbaker(LA CA-10)

:) Hmmm, it seems like I'll never figure out how to post images on GW. :)

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 4:53PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey!
First of all, how wet is this potting soil staying?
I ask because of the yellowish look to the leaves.

As for re-potting....
I re-pot my seedlings when I see roots emerging from the bottom of the container.
This lets me know that the seedling has sufficient root-mass to handle the transplant.
Also, I go from 2-inch containers to 4-inch containers. If you increase pot-size too much,
I think the plant "stalls" while it focuses energy colonizing the new volume of potting mix
with roots. However, most seedlings catch up within a month or so. With a freely-draining mix,
you could technically start your seeds in a 20-gallon container with no ill effects.

Josh

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 8:54PM
kosherbaker(LA CA-10)

Hmmm interesting info. So you are actually saying it is better to repot? And to go in progression. This 16oz cup is just a little bit bigger than a 4 inch container.
OK if this is better then that's what I'll do. :) I thought they hated being moved but it sounds like it's OK.
Is there anything special that needs to be done during the move, like adding fertilizer to the new soil?

As far as wetness of the soil. I water this guy once every 2-3 days. The yellowness may just be my poor photographing skills or maybe the way the light hit the leaves. Otherwise you guys have cured my overwatering disease with the last thread. :)

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 2:15PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Howdy!

Yes, I think it's better to up-pot gradually while the plant is still a seedling....
unless you have the room and resources to start the seeds in large, well-draining containers.

When you move your plants to larger pots, try to keep the soil and root-mass intact.
The less root-disturbance, the better.

I wait a few days to fertilize after re-potting.
The reason is that "soils low in initial fertility are conducive to root-growth."
Then I resume fertilizing with a liquid fertilizer.

I'm glad you've been cured of the overwatering bug... ;-)

Josh

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Specks on Habanero placenta path ID?
Hi- very new to growing peppers (actually growing anything...
zrmorgan
my chilliplant only produce flowers - help please
hi all, my chilli plants are grown indoors, they are...
s501nano
Time Lapse Video of Carolina Reaper Sprouting
Check it out my little reapers are finally coming up....
capsicummaximum
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Aleppo Pepper?
I've heard of this variety and it's big in the Middle...
reversethong
Sponsored Products
Aspects Under Cabinet Lighting Arch 1-Light White LED Undercabinet Light
$94.99 | Home Depot
Aspects Under Cabinet Lighting Arch 1-Light White LED Undercabinet Light
$55.00 | Home Depot
Indoor/Outdoor LED Cluster Light Strand
Grandin Road
Aspects Arch White 3.5 Watt LED Undercabinet Light ACU16LWH
$77.00 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™