purple queen/purple heart/wandering jew TOXICITY?

appledecoAugust 14, 2009

I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure whether the purple queen plant is toxic to animals. I have heard different things.

I already have this plant in my courtyard, but am going to rent to someone with a small dog that chews on everything. I'll dig up this plant and take it with me if I have to, but I'd rather leave it, if it's safe.

Sorry if this is slightly OT, I couldn't figure out which board to post on.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Apple,

I don't know if there is any way to absolutely know "for sure" since horticulturalists generally don't sit and force feed plants to dogs or cats or other animals to discover if those plants are toxic to them or not. Any research done in that area (if any is even done) would most likely be done by agricultural teaching institutions.

I didn't find purple queen/purple heart/wandering jew on the ASPCA or Humane Society lists, but like other lists of plants toxic to pets, these lists are not considered "all-inclusive" and are based partly on anecdotal reports.

You might try asking your local vet, but they likely won't know either unless they've had an animal specifically eat that plant and become ill.

If that small dog chews on everything, then any plant you have in the yard is potentially toxic. With some plants, only a portion of the plant is toxic....maybe the leaves or the roots or the berries or whatever. It also depends on how much of any given plant or plant part is actually ingested.

The best thing is for the dog to be taught not to chew on plants. Dogs that chew on plants of various kinds often cause themselves harm.

Dawn

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 6:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

I've seen this plant, growing in its native habitat, in coffee country, in Mexico. It's part of the undergrowth and there many people have animals running loose. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it. But then, when allowed to roam, most animals seem to know or learn what is and isn't good for them.

George

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 7:33AM
More Discussions
Lettuce and spinach
Is it to late to plant spinach and lettuce? It was...
chadwickthegoat
Seeds
Okay. So, I was overly optimistic when I purchased...
hazelinok
asparagus is up
Went out to plant corn and peas and noticed I had about...
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma
Intercropping Tomatoes
with Sweet corn? Is it doable? with so many tomato...
chickencoupe
Well, that's the end of my garden...
Class 5 water restrictions in Duncan. No exceptions....
wbonesteel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™