Hardening off temps

esox07March 25, 2013

At what outside temps would you start hardening off your plants? Is 50 and sunny good enough?
Bruce

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
uncle_t(Z6 Ontario CAN)

Temperature, winds and sun exposure are the main factors. I like minimum 60* F and little or no wind on the first day. Wind can really damage unhardened plants at even ideal temps.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:24PM
Bill_Missy(8b)

I am liking anything above 65. However, we are having a lot of fluctuation of temps going on now. I put mine outside in the sun yesterday and it was about 70 degrees. Today the high is 44. On these colder days like today I dont put mine out. But what does this do to the harding off process? If you skip a few days because of mother nature, I am thinking that it has to extend the process correct?

2 days nice and harden off, then 4-6 days of to cold....

Bill

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 6:53PM
esox07

I will have a wait for 60 degrees. I think I have done it at 50 before with no ill affects. Also, if I do it one or two days in a row and then can't do it for several days, I don't think you really have to start from scratch or anything, they don't get soft that quick. I would just maybe set their schedule back slightly and keep going on schedule.
Bruce

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 8:42PM
cjohansen

Just checked some normalized temperatures (based on 30 years of data) for my area and found:

• April: 40

• May: 51

• June: 60

• July: 61

Sure hope I don't have to wait for 70 before hardening off...

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 4:47AM
esox07

chohansen, You are certainly in a tough pepper growing climate.
Bruce

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 7:34AM
cjohansen

Yeah, it's tough :( I'm planning to device a MacGyver green house of some sort. The temps above are averages, though. Day temperature is a little better. Last year the average temperature throughout the summer was 60, with 45 days of 68+. Not exactly tropical...

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 8:36AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yes, 60F or warmer, and little wind.
If there's wind, you can put seedlings in a cardboard box...a trick someone mentioned here.

Josh

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 3:06PM
esox07

I got one of those small 4 tier green houses for $15 on sale a couple months ago. I am gonna stick that outside and with some sun, I will get 60's and up even when it is in the 40's.
Bruce

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
I had it bookmarked
It looks like it is the whole enchilada, not that cut...
ronnyb123
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™