Help! White growth on perennials

new2ny(6)June 25, 2011

I planted two perennial gardens this year, my first season in a new home. Both have done very well but just a day or two ago I noticed white growth (almost looks like a very fine, white spider web) on 4-5 plants. I don't know if this is a fungus, some sort of insect or mite, or another issue altogether. We've also had a lot of rain lately so don't know if it might be related to the moisture. I have both anti-fungal and pesticide products but don't want to use anything until I know what I'm dealing with (fungicide was bought to control shot hole disease on cherry tree leaves - one pesticide is organic and the other is Sevin - I haven't used the Sevin yet because of concern about toxicity. Would definitely never use it in vegetable garden but might consider it for flowers and other types of foilage). I am providing a link with three photos of the growth so hopefully someone can identify the problem for me, and provide a remedy. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Issue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Appears to be webbing not a disease. What happens if you disturb it? Maybe that's all you need do.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 10:29PM
new2ny(6)

I don't know what would happen if disturbed; I thought I should ask on the forum first, and obviously take photos while still in place. I also assumed if it was a form of disease, or agressive pest, simply clearing it away without some type of treatment would be ineffective. My goal is to elminiate it for good - are you saying that just removing it might do that? Thanks for the reply.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 6:11AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Yes, it was a good idea to take pictures while it was still intact.

Now that you done that, experiment with at least one of the plants to see what happens next: Critters leave or hide? Plant is fine? Webbing reappears? Or what?

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 12:41PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

"...had a lot of rain lately so don't know if it might be related to the moisture..."

Could be. Perhaps soil moisture evaporating and condensing on a spider's web. Are you sure its not a spider's web?

tj

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™