Nematodes and Elbon Rye
I have started cleaning out some of my tomatoes. These were plants that looked well early in the year, but started going down hill later. I blamed it on the fact that I was trying a no til method in this part of the garden and had just not quite got the hang of it yet.
This area was planted in Elbon Rye last fall and I got a very heavy crop, which I cut down with a string trimmer and just stacked the stalks on the ground. I used post hole diggers to dig the planting holes and then mulched around the plants.
I have had to deal with root knot nematodes twist before, but never here. The first time I used Vapam, which I no longer can get. The second time I tilled the crap out of the soil. I even tilled the ground when it was frozen.
I know I did not kill all the nematodes, but I reduced the number to where they were not a problem for next years crop.
The nematodes in the plants I have pulled are going to find out what diesel fuel smells like, the ones in the ground will be dodging tiller tines all winter.
I will also check the peanuts planted next to the tomatoes because they look a little sick also. I will also check the part of the garden that was tilled before planting.
This is a little hard for me to understand because this soil has been highly amended, and had a cover crop of Elbon Rye.
If I have nematodes in other areas I will try solarization.
Well I have cooled off a little, now its time to get back to my nematode hunt.