Mealybugs on my Japanese Yew?

dita531June 29, 2011

So I think the problem is mealybugs, originally I thought it was winter burn until I took a closer look. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I need to just rip it up and plant some new ones?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Have you actually seen mealybugs on them? This may be off the mark, but the picture looks similar to the damage from black vine weevil. Google "yew black vine weevil damage" and you can see several examples of the notched foliage and stems (mostly interior foliage). If you find similar, it would do no good to plant more yews until it is eliminated from the soil where the larvae develops, destroying roots and creating an appearance similar to your picture.
hortster

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 10:14AM
dita531

I haven't seen anything that looked like a weevil. I did see these white fuzzy things that looked like mealybugs. I wish I could figure out how to upload another picture that I took of it.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 10:21AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Maybe those lower branches are not getting enough sun?

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 12:19PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Have you posted a picture of the 'white fuzzy things'? I'll bet a dollar that it's one of the cottony scale insects, and NOT mealybugs. Cottony scale is pretty common on Taxus in the northeast. Mealybugs? NOT!

Kimmsr has a point about the sun. The shape of your 'yew sculpture' is the exact opposite of what would be required to allow plenty of sunlight to all portions of that plant. Hedged plants should actually be a little bit narrower at the TOP than the bottom.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™