Bhut Jolokia flowers

capt_saicinMarch 15, 2011

Just curious...

I have 8 BJs that are about 5 mos. old an beginning to flower and produce fruit. I have notived some of the flowers have 4 petals while most have 5. I help pollinate by tickling the flowers in the late afternoon and have about 3 fruit on some plants and 5+ on others with more trying immature fruits trying to "hang on".

I have not bothered to track this but was curious if anyone knows of any correlation to the # of flower petals and likelyhood of fruit forming and or maturing?

Like I said just curious.

Thanks in advance... The Capt.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tlowery04(6b/7a)

I've never grown them before, however are these indoor plants? If they are from this season i wouldn't think you would want blooms yet because the plants would be pretty small and immature

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 12:43PM
esox07

I planted two of my Bhuts on January 11th and they are already starting to produce buds after only about 10 weeks. I am in Zone 4, South central Wisconsin so it will be a good 7 to 8 weeks before I can put them outside for good. Should I just snip them off as they appear of is there another solution that might be better. I am worried that if I snip them for too long, they will just give up trying to produce blooms after a while.

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 1:55AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Snip them.
Don't worry, the plant will produce plenty of blooms later.
I snip mine all throughout the Winter, and I snip any blooms when they go into the garden.

Josh

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
Favorite Website Links
Bookmark this page! (and feel free to add to the list...
Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Why I Like Tobacco Trays
Have 72 cells, which are cone shaped so the seedlings...
tomt226
Need Indian or Thai hot pepper seeds
Where can I get Indian or Thai hot pepper seeds in...
jd101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™