7 random shots

dixieboyJuly 13, 2011

Took this one that caught my eye out of many palmettos in this community near little Washington NC, small & compact in stature making a nice landscape specimen.

Also near little Washington, cypress & spanish moss that screams the south.

Typical around the neighborhood in Morehead City.

Shrimp trawler headed into our community harbor with another load of succlant brown southern shrimp to help satisfy Americas seafood appetite.

Did a little trimming on our cycas.

Our butia soak'in up some sun.

Our native live oaks, love'um! Hope you enjoyed the random shots!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Awesome pics! It definitely looks exactly like the the south should! Its pretty interesting how from Northern Florida all the way to North Carolina, the forests do look kind of similar!
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 11:30AM
jimhardy

Sago & Butia are super nice!

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 11:46AM
dixieboy

Alex, north Florida yes, it's when you get deep in the peninsula where we get lost in it's dust!! lol Thanks.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 11:48AM
dixieboy

Thanks, always appreciate your compliments & com'in from a man with the green thumb too!!! lol

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 11:56AM
chadec7a

Great looking pindo, hope mine gets that big one day. Amazing what you can grow only a few hours away.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 4:25PM
jacklord(7A)

Indeed. That Pindo is to die for.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 4:29PM
brooklyngreg(7a NYC coastal plain)

I enjoyed all the shots, but really liked that handsome butia. It looks so healthy, wonder what type it is - how old is it? Did you try the fruit?

I have the butia yatay.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 4:31PM
protempsfish

Is that the Pamlico River in the background? Beautiful pics. Do you ever get any gators in the area?

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 4:57PM
dixieboy

Thanks Chad, the butia is a pleasure to have around, i'm glad for at least a little variety in palms, you keep at it, time will do wonders for you!

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 6:45PM
dixieboy

Thanks, love my butia, should have planted a few more back in the day!! lol

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 6:50PM
butiaman(8a Douglasville,GA.)

dixieboy,
Gotta love that Butia and those Cycads.It's hard to grow both of them even as far south as I live.It's not nessaserly the cold that kills them here,it's the winter rain and cold.We get most of our rain during the winter months.Summertime here is very hot very humid with very little rain,except when those thunderstorms come through that dont do anything any good.Love the pics.as usual.
Randy

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 6:58PM
dixieboy

Glad you enjoyed the pics, i think i planted it maybe around '80' give or take a few years in a small container. It's just your run of the mill type butias you find in the trade & i should have 2 clumps of fruit ready within days now & just before they begin to fall is when i eat, they are very good, like a orange-banana blend with fiber that's good for the body.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 7:04PM
dixieboy

Actually it's the Pungo & Pamlico rivers you see from our place & yes anywhere the water gets to be on the fresher side you can look for a gator resident, they are saying there's a 7 to 8 footer up this creek but we are on the salty side, i personally really havn't seen any sign of one right here.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 7:15PM
dixieboy

It's the same here except we most likely will stay a bit milder in the winter months. Now if we both had a climate like St.Simons on the 'Georgie' coast you might see a few queens be'in tried!! lol

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
This new format sucks!
I think I'm done posting here.
bradleyo_gw
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
dead?
I have a Pygmy date palm and I think I killed it. Is...
dollyday3
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™