Another ID

Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, FJuly 23, 2012

Feel like a bouncer at a nightclub yet?

I have had a larger scale version this picture as one of my wallpapers for my computer for about 6 months now. I absolutely LOVE the arching palm on the left. Given the suggested location of the picture, I'm guessing this is going to be a zone 10 or 11 palm. I would love to know for sure so I can finally put it out of my mind as being a viable option for my house as I am not big on zone pushing and prefer plants that do well naturally in my area.

Many tanks! And jeeps too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
us_marine

Which one are you talking about? Only palms I see are coconut palms. Zone 10 or higher for sure.
If you wanted one you could zone push it a lot easier than you think. But it still would be a lot of work and they get big fast.

- US_Marine

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 12:23PM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Agreed, that is a Cocos nucifera, not yet trunking.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 1:26PM
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F

Ah, okay. Pity you can't grow one to that point and then somehow hit the pause button on it! Thanks again.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 2:45PM
RichardC7(6b-7a)

That actually may be a "Majesty Palm" which can be found at any store that sells plants!

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 10:25PM
ericthehurdler(NOR CAL 9a)

it is definitely a coconut palm, and if your in a zone 9a then it has no chance of surviving.
Beccariophoenix alfredii is a palm you should look into. its cold hardy and looks very similar to coconuts.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 10:43PM
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F

Thanks for the information, Eric. Yeah, I'm well aware that coconuts won't survive in my area without a fair bit of care. Which kind of bummed me out back in March. My Home Despot was having their Spring Black Friday sale and they had 4 or 5 pallets of 4' coconuts for sale at something like $8 each. I didn't know if I should have cringed or laughed at an older lady nagging her husband to grab six of them to plant around their house (they looked like they could afford the $50 loss).

As for the Alfredi, I will have to keep my eyes peeled for seeds, but I will be avoiding already growing plants. Reading up on them, I found out about their close cousins the madagascariensis and saw that that species is on the brink of extinction in its home environment. Given how recently the alfredi was discovered and the fact that it is in the same country, I don't want to play into the demand scene that ends up bringing about the same results to those.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 11:05AM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Commercially available Beccariophoenix alfredii are germinated from seed taken from plants grown and now flowering outside Madagascar. The palm was discovered in 1999 (approximately), and formally named in 2007. You can purchase a seedling in a 4" pot for $6 from Floribunda Palms and Exotics, and need not be concerned about depleting the palm's native habitat.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
New coconuts
Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum and have an...
coconutman
Sabal palm and fertilizing bermuda?
Hi, i have been getting alot of help just reading through...
gardy78
Mexican Fan Palm Tree - Fronds Turning Yellow/Brown
Hi everyone, I live north of Dallas, TX and have a...
RedRayderz01
This new format sucks!
I think I'm done posting here.
bradleyo_gw
Me little plants just atsrting out
If you look close you can see the Y.Rostrata,variegated...
jimhardy
Sponsored Products
Thomas O'Brien Batik Ring Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Black & Latte 'I'd Rather be Riding' Wall Quotes™ Decal
$21.99 | zulily
Correll Round Table Cart - T456
$371.56 | Hayneedle
Black 3-piece Occasional Table Set
Overstock.com
Personalized Decorative Baroque Pet Feeder
$199.00 | FRONTGATE