The advantage of having a broken warer main

slowpoke_gardenerAugust 16, 2012

We were dry in April, May, and June. The grass died and the soil cracked badly. I expect the cracking soil put stress on the water line. We had 8.7 inches of rain over about 5 weeks. I notices some of my soil was not drying like I had expected, then I noticed water coming out of the meter well.

I am not sure what this is doing for my sweet potatoes, but they sure look good for being in an extreme drought

area and I have knowingly given them very little water.

Larry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chickencoupe

That is awesome. lol Those are some happy (lucky) plants.

bon

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 1:02PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Larry,

I assume you've reported the broken water main so they can come and fix it? lol

Enjoy the extra moisture while you've got it.

Dawn

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 3:40PM
slowpoke_gardener

Dawn, I did report the water leak. I watched it for a several days, at that time it was not leaking as bad as it is now. I would take pictures of the meter and then go back later and take another picture ( I cant see much looking down in a hole). At that Time I told Madge that it was not costing me enough to worry about it. Then my lawn started getting soft in other areas, that's when I called the water company. The inspector found the area where the leak was. I told him that since the leak was on his side to come back fix it about Oct. and help dig "OUR" sweet potatoes. He laughed about it but I expect he will repair the leak soon.

Larry

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 4:08PM
Lisa_H(7)

Larry, that is a lovely sight!!! I'd ask them to wait until then too!

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 5:15PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Larry, I think that if he REALLY likes sweet potatoes, he might come back until October.

Dawn

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 8:50PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Larry, I had one break in my yard a couple weeks ago. When the City came to fix it, they accidentally dug up my Button Bush. They plunked it back in the ground with a thud, and I thought for sure it was a goner. Two weeks later and it is growing like gangbusters, putting out branches and throwing up new stems like crazy. Probably all that water and it obviously is a masochistic plant.

Great photo, BTW!

Susan

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 11:11PM
slowpoke_gardener

Susan, I am getting a little concerned. I dug a small ditch to divert some of the surface water away from my potato bed. I also have a ditch dug near about 5 feet from the house. That ditch is now filling up with water.
I may be getting too much of a good thing. There is no way it can get into the house but I dont think I want all my lawn that saturated ( my house is down hill from the leak).

My lawn looks like I am raising hogs, the armadillos are digging up everything. The water must be forcing the worms up near the surface.

I really dont want it that wet under my house.

Larry

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Gardenia and Peace Lily Zone 7
Hi All. My daughter died recently and we received...
realtrrldy
Thyme (common) Slaughter
I'm getting ready to kill it. It is up about 1/2"...
chickencoupe
Problems/successes germinating
Since all I am doing right now is sowing and waiting...
luvncannin
Question on my potatoes
I planted the first week of April. They're strong and...
chickencoupe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™