Photo of interesting tree....

powderpuffApril 3, 2013

This tree broke off during a hurricane in the Keys. Snapped right off at the base many years ago. Look how it survived!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdogdad(Zone 9)

When you live in the tropics, you plants can get giant. However, you also have hurricanes, typhoons or cyclones. That must have broken decades ago.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 1:40PM
elucas101(8)

Very cool! That would be amaaaaazing to have a giant tree in the yard like that!

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 2:49PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

That is amazing... Are you sure it isn't a "Psycho". Lol...

Thanks for the great pic.. Goes to show that they are quite hardy in the right locations...

Have a wonderful night!

Laura

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 12:12AM
jandey1(TX8)

Laura, I was thinking the same thing--looks a lot like Bill's tree! Sounds like it's as tough as Psycho, too!

Yikes, maybe it's a good thing that I have to grow these things in pots. There's no room to fit 60 of those in my yard!

Very nice photo, Powderpuff, and a good reminder to us about the nature of these plants.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 9:52AM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

that kind of growth takes a mostly tropical climate. Psycho is in a temperate climate with occasional bouts of cold weather in the winter so it is much slower to reach a big size. The Keys and Hawaii are the two U.S. areas (other than Caribbean conections) where you can have the really giant plumerias. In Calif, you need 50-60 years to get a fairly large one. With plumies, there is no substitute for heat and humidity and lack of frost.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 1:21PM
powderpuff

Many years ago it snapped about 2-3' from the ground. It then put out lots of little branches that many years later have turned into huge branches. Once they get big like this, it's hard to kill them. There are many similar trees in the Keys. Sadly, some people remove the stump not realizing it will come back.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
Just Purchased KALEINANI Plumeria From 1 Stop Aloha On Ebay.
Hello Gang; My 1st purchase from 1 Stop, I read good...
edzone9
OT testing.. Wanting to say hello to my friends!!
Hi everyone!! I'm just testing out the new format...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
How To Give Away Plumeria
I bought a plumeria (gorgeous pinks and yellows) before...
treehugger101
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™