Plumeria dormancy question

tulleyleaApril 6, 2013

First off, I want to say thank you to those of you that read this and try and help - I really appreciate it!

I have a white plumeria that I brought back from Hawaii as a stick about five years ago. It has three prongs now, and at its peak will have maybe 30 leaves?

Anyway . . it only bloomed for me once and I've read that it is necessary to for it to go 'dormant' in order to bloom. Over the winter, it has been in a sunny window in our dining room and still has leaves. The weather is just getting to the point where I can start thinking about starting seeds, but no way can the plumeria go back outside. Average now is 50's during the day, and 40s at night.

So I'm wondering . . should I maybe move it down the basement for a little while, where it is darker and colder? Until the leaves fall off then bring it back up?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freak4plumeria(So CA zone 10)

Since your plumie has been in its current location all winter and is happy there (thus the full leaves), Id leave it be. If you put iti in your basement or try to make it go dormant now you may confuse your baby. I have plumies that keep some of its leaves all winter long with no ill effects, except for maybe spider mites in spring. In some parts of the world like Central Mexico or Central America Plumies do not go dormant and grow and flower all year long.

Basically only Fruit and ornamental trees like Chinese Magolia, Flowering Cherry trees that are deciduous need a rest period and cold to make it fruit again the next growing season.
Basically leave well enough alone....

Cheers

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 13:47

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 1:43PM
More Discussions
A few blooms from Madeira
Aloha plumeria friends! Wanted to share a few beauties...
David Richter
Frangipani Fading?
So 3 of my frangipani's are doing this badly on the...
archades
Need advise please
I have 2 plumeria plants that are ~7 yrs old . They...
robinkaufman
A Plumeria in the UK
Hello all, I am new on this forum, usually on the Adenium...
adenium1949
Top 5 WOW Factor Plumeria Choices ?
Hello Gang ; Please help me choose the top 5 Wow Factor...
edzone9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™