Lots of leaves, but no blooms!

costaricafincaApril 17, 2010

The plant looks healthy but have had no blooms. The ones I see that are just growing wild near the beach have no leaves buy many flowers...

The plant is 3 years old. I have some smaller plants from cutting from this one, but no blooms there, either.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

How large is it. It might be too young to bloom. Or maybe you should get some fertilizer thats not high in nitrogen to get it too bloom. There are lots of things you can apply to get a plumeria to bloom better and faster, but I dont know the specific names.

good luck!

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 1:57PM
costaricafinca

I was surprised to get a response so quickly! I came back to edit my post, with the added info. It is about 4 ft tall. The conditions are dry and hot, but I do water it.
I don't usually have any problem with my plants not blooming, although I don't usually fertilize any of them...except for the occasional drop of 'manure tea...'

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 2:03PM
andrew78(6)

Hello Costa,
I know that my plumeria did not bloom and only gave me the nice long dark leaves until I bought a fertilizer that is made specifically for plumeria. Now I know that that isn't necessary but they do require certain nutrients to bloom. My plueria fertilizer is 8-14-10 so I would say that the middle number is what matters most. A lot of people use epsom salts also. I am no expert but I wanted to share with you what I learned and ended up with blooming plumerias. Good luck. I wish I had the opportunity to grow mine outdoors like you.
Andrew

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 10:47AM
costaricafinca

Thanks, Andrew, I will look for a fertilizer with those components. I also have a few Plumeria pudica 'Bridal bouquet' plants of which which one had a bloom, but these are still small and are still in pots but I am waiting for 'the rainy season' to plant them in the ground.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 9:49AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Yeah I also hear that a high middle number is the best fertilzer to give a plumeria when you want it to bloom. Something high in nitrogen is great at the end of the dry season to get new and healthy leaves on it, but once you want to see some summer blooms, definitely fertliize with something with a high middle number.

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Back from the dead.
I'm back. After giving up on this site, they contacted...
tdogdad
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
scale
Laura and Peg...is this the scale my husband thinks...
rox146
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™