Help - Maggots in my garden

jensatJune 24, 2013

HELP! Recently I put cocoa shells down for mulch/weed barrier in my gardens. I have used it for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. Today however I found hundreds of Maggots in both my gardens.

Is it possible they were dormant in the mulch? (I have several bags in the garage waiting for another bed to be ready).
How do I get rid of them?
Do I need to remove all the mulch?

Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lkzz(7b)

I did some looking at this was discussed on the garden clinic forum - worms found in cocoa bean mulch - attracted to decomposing material so probably deposited there by the parent bug. I posted the link below.

From the discussion:
The tiny, white, jumping worms are Folsomia Candida (actually anthropods, not worms) or Springtail. Lots of photos and information available through Google. They feed on decomposing material in soils.

Another discussion here: http://forums.finegardening.com/over-fence/general-gardening/cocoa-mulch-white-worms

Here is a link that might be useful: Jumping worms?

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 2:04PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Please post a picture or two.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 8:47PM
jensat

Thank you for the link. Sorry I don't have my own pics. I deleted them when I figured out what they were. I put a link below to someone else's though.

I kept doing research and found this blog (link). Jumping worms! There is a video on the blog. All other comments I found were related to cocoa shells, which is disappointing because I like using them over woodchips and rocks.

They come out in droves when it rains. Original post that I found was here - Titled Jumping Worms from '07. Lots of comments on it. One said they jump to avoid drowning. Most comments said they weren't harmful, but one said they move on to the roots when the foodsource is gone. Every comment referenced the cocoa shells and water.

Anyway here is the link to the blog with pics and videos. The video doesn't do the jumping justice. I could cleary see them jumping 6 inches or higher and easily a couple of inches in distance from my first floor window! I didn't even have to go outside.

My husband bought raid and sprayed it when it rained tonight, before I could tell him to stop. It seems to have gotten quite a few of them, but I would rather not have that in the garden.

Don't know if this will be a recurring problem or not, but it hasn't happened in 2 years. I'll let you know if they come back.

Here is a link that might be useful: jumping worms video

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 10:07PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Maggots, the larva of any one of several species of flies, will hatch in almost any organic matter if the conditions they need are present, organic matter, moist conditions, warm. Cocoa bean shell mulches are relatively high in Nitrogen, 2.5 percent, which is very attractive to these flies for laying eggs so their larva, the maggots, can feed and grow into adults. For some people having maggots around is not a problem, they do digest organic matter, while for many of us it does present a problem.

The simplest way to deal with these maggots is to apply a dessicant to them and Blood Meal work quite well. But long term let that mulch dry out.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 6:44AM
More Discussions
yellow raised spots/bumps on tomatillo leaves
Hi guys, I've got some tomatillo plants that are developing...
kuvaszlvr
Possible plant disease?
Hi, Leaves on one of my new hedges have a white powder...
Dean Maunder
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Help! My Coleus Has Yellowing, Dying Leaves
I have an unknown variety of coleus; spent last summer...
linuschris
Sponsored Products
Mystic Chocolate Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 9 In. Rug
$390.15 | Bellacor
Noland LED Table Lamp - Damm
$425.00 | HORNE
Alexandria Merlot Red 50 x 96-Inch Taffeta Curtain
$126.95 | Bellacor
Design House 505545 Canterbury Outdoor Downlight - 6 x 17 in. - Black Die-Cast A
$117.99 | Hayneedle
Antique Gray Moroccan 20 in. Urn Planter - 217266
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Loft LED Flushmount by Modern Forms
$143.00 | Lumens
Couristan Recife Island Retreat Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Beige/Natural Multicol
$19.00 | Hayneedle
Somerset Outdoor Bolster Pillow, Patio Furniture
$108.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™