Strange black spots on cuke leaves

sewsewcreative(8b)June 17, 2013

Hello ~ and thank you so much for any advice or opinions in advance! I'm really excited to be posting here (this is the first time I've had a garden do this well!)!

My question involves strange black spots/schmutz on my cuke leaves (I'm also finding the same or similar spots on my neighboring grape leaves, too). An internet search led me to believe that the black spots were the result of gypsy moths/caterpillars, so I found BT spray at my local Lowes, which I then sprayed all over my plants.

Ideally, I'd like to make sure that I'm treating the problem correctly and haven't confused these black spots with other black spots. I've uploaded/attached two images that show the spots.

Any help is VERY appreciated! Thank you so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sewsewcreative(8b)

Here's another image of the strange black spots. Again, any help is most appreciated! Thank you!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:41PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Where do you live in zone 9 that gypsy moths are a problem?

Anyway, it certainly looks like caterpillar frass. And the leaves are being devoured should be a sign of caterpillars. But what makes you think that the culprits are gypsy moths?

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 2:32PM
sewsewcreative(8b)

Hi Rhizo! Thank you so much for responding!

I got the idea just doing a general search on black spots on cuke leaves. I've not seen any caterpillars (lizards are a more frequent visitor to our garden area) nor moths ~ I just assumed.

I'm in Panama City Beach, if that makes a difference.

Again, thank you!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 2:50PM
sewsewcreative(8b)

Whoops! Just realized that I'm zone 8b ... if that makes a difference. :/

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 2:53PM

Unless you manage to find the actual producer of all of that poop, we can't ID it for you. It won't be a gypsy moth, though. :-)

The Bt can be effective in controlling caterpillars while they are still young.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:38PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The only thing that Zone tells us is which plants will most likely survive a normal winter in your garden, beyond that it is meaningless since it tells us nothing of what kind of soil you may have, how much rainfall you may get, what kinds of insects you may have, etc.

The larva of the Gypsy Moth will eat the leaves, as well as leave large quantities of frass (a nice word for poop) so you will know they are present because your trees and shrubs will fairly quickly become bare. Same with the Tentworm Caterpillars. I find nothing that would indicate that either of these is a pest of the squash family of plants.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 7:43AM

Gypsy moths don't occur in Florida.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™