Cucumber Damage

ethnobotanyJune 23, 2011

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

The tiny yellow spots 0- are they your concern? If so, very out of focus but,even so, I'd guess aphids. If so, not responsible for the leaf damage.

As for the leaf image, environmental. I see you're growing hydroponic system, right?

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 8:42PM
ethnobotany

Yes Jean. I actually have found that there are a few thrips here and there, particularly on the blooms. They don't seem large enough in number to produce these manifestations though. The other orange critters (sorry I couldn't get a better zoom with my iPhone) aren't actually critters. They are eggs! Or at least they appear to be. I scraped a few off and they were very hard, almost like a hardened sap? What really concerns me about them is they are found on that surface split of the stem, which I had never noticed before until of recent.

UPDATE: A few of the lower leaves, even the new branches, are beginning to wilt and the tips are turning grey/dark blue and crumpling up. What could this be?

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 9:12PM
ethnobotany

BUMP

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 1:49PM
MrBo1010(7)

Any signs of cucumber beetles? A few days ago I noticed similar stem splits along with yellowing and no flowering taking place anymore. My leaf damage also looks similar but not quite as bad.

Since then I've noticed increasing numbers (kill maybe 12-15 per day) of striped cucumber beetles, mainly out at night, and have had to trim two of my three plants back in hopes of saving them from bacterial wilt.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: my cucumber troubles

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™