horizontal graft

rox146April 8, 2013

I was wondering. I have 2 different plumeria trees next to each other where 1 of the branches from each is touching the other tree...I was thinking of trying a "sideways" graft so to speak and see what becomes of the blooms at the ends of these 2 trees where the splice was made? Any comments or thoughts of success rate? This is the time of year, right? I was going to make a curvy cut on each sside of the 2 so they could "melt" together. They are not rare collectibles, they are common 1 white and 1 yellow that I got before I knew they even had names....roxanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_first_kms2(8/9)

My assumption but if you splice two together and it takes hold each tip will continue to grow based on its own genetic code. I think you just might end up with a big graft scar. However, I am not speaking from any grafter experience and would encourage experimenting. I guess the good news would be that you know it will either be white, yellow or nothing. If you choose to do it good luck and post pictures.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:05PM
rox146

thanks kms2. I like to experiment and thought of doing this before I prune their limbs harder. Wonder if the blooms would be varied like mottled yellow and white then...? roxanne

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 10:25PM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

Rox, I don't think they would be a combination. Each branch would have its own code and would bloom the color of its original parent. I have seen multi grafts onto the same plant to give it different blooms at plant shows. I'm not a fan but it might be very unique to someone else.

I am in full agreement on experimenting and new ideas/techniques. How can we possibly expect that all is known or understood about growing Plumerias in the ground or in containers? There is always more to know.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 10:41PM
rox146

mahalo...roxanne

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
My Plumeria Tree After NE Flotrida Hard Freeze .
Hello gang; This plumeria has been outside all winter...
edzone9
a test for Laura
Just a test to see if working, now only to remember...
rox146
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™