Hatch chile peppers

hudydogMarch 26, 2012

Just wondering if there is any difference in Hatch chile peppers and the other ones like them, such as big jim or Anaheims ? I ordered some in January and lost the seeds. They cost quite a lot so didn't want to waste more money if they are nothing special. My cooking shows I watch always go crazy about them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenchileemily(7b Albuquerque)

Technically, there is no real chile variety known as "Hatch". Hatch is a small town between Albuquerque and Las Cruces that is famous for green chile growing and has a yearly Chile Festival. If you bought chile seeds labeled as "Hatch" variety, it may have been a variety called AgCo Fire Green which are labeled as "hot Hatch green chile" sold here in NM. There are a lot of other varieties commonly grown in this area, though, such as NuMex Heritage 6-4, Big Jim, Barker X-Hot, Joe Parker, and Sandia to name a few, with varying flavors and heat levels. Then there are some northern NM varieties such as Chimayo and Espanola. These are just the varieties I am growing this year. Big Jim is a good mild to medium variety that you can use in your recipes calling for roasted green chile and it makes great rellenos.

So I guess to answer your question, yes, there is a big difference in taste and heat level between the varieties, but Big Jim should give you what you need unless you want more heat. Enjoy :). There is no better smell in the world than roasting green chile :)

Emily

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:30AM
hudydog

Thanks It all makes sense now.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 10:44AM
JVjava

If you go to the Chile Institute website which is run by new mexico state university, you can learn alot about the different varieties of NuMexico type peppers, as well as order seeds from them at a reasonable price.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 10:32PM
beautifulswimmers1(8a)

The whole thing with hatch chiles is the dirt they grow in and the roasting after.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Resurrect my Scorpion plant?
So I have a Trinidad Scorpion plant that produced fairly...
newcoyote
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Pepper plant wilting
Not sure what's going on here. This plant nearly died...
uncle_flip
How To Support Pepper Plants
Those who grow tomatoes know it that supporting the...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™