Mexican Fan Palm Stunted Growth

jordanz(8A (Mojave Desert))July 27, 2011

So I have a total of 4 Mexican Fan Palms in my front yard. 1 of them I planted 2 years ago (it was about 10" diameter, 4 feet tall)...that one is now almost 1.5 foot diameter and 10 feet tall! It has done ridiculously good. All I do is water it 2-3 times per week, and use palm fertilizer twice a year.

I also planted a 6" diameter, 3 foot tall palm at the same time (2 years ago) in a huge pot. It didn't grow at all in the pot. It always had 1-2 little fronds, but they didn't move or grow for a year. So I put it in the ground like my big palm a year ago, and it still hasn't progressed. I use the same water/fertilizer schedule as my big palm. What do I need to do to fix it? It probably pushed up 1 frond per year if I'm lucky..VERY slowly. My big one probably pushes out a couple dozen fronds per year. How do I get this guy to grow?!

2 of the palms I just planted 2 months ago, they're tiny little 4" diameter, 2 foot tall palms. They're doing just fine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

Sounds like it could be your soil--both ground and in the container. What's the soil like? Palms like a soil rich in humus that drains well. Something definitely wrong (I think my robustas must put out 2-3 new fronds per month at least. Mine are in large tubs and I water every day.)

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 4:04PM
jimhardy

May have some root damage there,in which case it will
take a while to grow new roots...assuming there isn't
some fungal infection.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 5:16PM
jordanz(8A (Mojave Desert))

Soil is very heavy clay here in the desert. Seriously like concrete trying to break through it. But I added probably 30% mulch/compost to it before planting. It's the same soil as all the other palms that are doing good. Do I need to fertilize or water less/more?

Maybe I didn't dig the hole deep enough? I loosened it probably close to a foot beneath the root tips. I may dig it up to see how water-logged it is. Should you let these palms soil dry out between waterings, or keep them somewhat damp?

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 2:32PM

Any ideas on what I should do? What kind of water and fertilizer schedule do you guys use?

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 6:03PM
lzrddr(91360)

Just give it another year.. it will probably start to pick up.. some palms go into a funk if roots disturbed at planting and can take up to 3 years to come out of it.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 6:56PM

So it seems to finally be pushing up a new frond. Should I continue to water twice a week, or do more/less? What about fertilizer?

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 6:33PM
_JAKE_(5-6)

my mexican fan palm is doing the same thing and i planted it in soil amended with about half gravel and half native soil (very rich fertile soil) but I think my palm is growing even slower than yours! It has yet to make any progress!

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Help! What is wrong with my Windmill Palm?
My windmill palm is approximately 6 yrs old. Today...
lulupalooza06
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
Sterling, VA trachy???
Anyone seen or have updates on that big Sterling, Virginia...
islandbreeze
Sickly windmill palm
We have a 6ft windmill palm that is about 6-7 years...
Diane2115
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™