I need help to iID a disease and it's tree!

hilde_wny(z5 NY)June 7, 2011

Hi,

When we moved into our house in 2003 there was a tree on one corner. It was planted when the house was built in 1999. It is a deciduous tree with leaves that start out green and in late May/early June turn purple. It has small berries too, that the birds love. I have never tried them.

The last three years or so I have noticed more and more of the branches get infected by some sort of disease. I don't know what disease it is. Could it be some kind of canker?

What disease is it and is it treatable or do I have to take down the tree? What variety tree is it? I am trying to attach two pictures to help answer the questions. Help is very much appreciated.

Hilde

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hilde_wny(z5 NY)

How do I post a 2nd picture? Do I have to upload it to some other website and link to it?

Hilde

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 2:44PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Hard to tell at that resolution but looks like Prunus and black knot to this Westerner.

Hosting service is required for better and more pix. I use Photobucket.

Dan

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 5:45PM
hilde_wny(z5 NY)

Thanks Dan! I will see if I can upload the pictures to some site, the 61K file size offered by GardenWeb was very small. Is black knot treatable?

Hilde

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 6:57PM
buckeye15(No OH)

Dan is right...it is Black Knot of Prunus. Can't tell from that photo, but from the description is sounds like Prunus virginiana 'Shubert' or 'Canada Red'

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 7:03PM
hilde_wny(z5 NY)

I did a google search on Black Knot and Prunus Virginiana and you are right! Thank you so much! I see a site mentions that you have to remove all infected branches and sterilize the equipment every time you cut off a branch. Does that sound right?

Hilde

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 8:52PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Yup. Remember how you did it as you'll do it again.

Dan

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 9:40PM
kimpa(z6b PA)

Here is info from my county extention office: http://agsci.psu.edu/fphg/stone/diseases/black-knot

I have 2 sand cherry tree/shrubs that I have been fighting but now have lost the battle. I will not be planting them again.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 8:26AM
More Discussions
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™