Help!

biggestdavMarch 19, 2011

I just discovered that all my seeds that I planted have turned black and gone mouldy i suppose thats what happens when you use 3 year old seeds that have been stored in a draw :(

Is there any point starting again with fresh seeds or is it too late now and best just going to the garden center in a few weeks to buy an established plant when they become available?

Thanks

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thenewmidwestchilehead

I don't know what zone you are in, but there should be plenty of time to sprout some more if you stick to annuums. Buy plants to replace any chinenses. And use less water next time. I have successfully sprouted 6 and 8 year old seeds.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 9:56PM
kosherbaker(LA CA-10)

Hi Dave.

I too am a noob, although I agree with midwestchilehead, three years old for the seeds is not that old. At least in my limited experience. If you can give some more details I think the gurus here will be able to help more. Like what kind of plant are you sprouting. What is your sprouting method, etc etc

Rudy

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 1:32AM
ottawapepper

biggestdav,

What midwestchilehead said. This year I've sprouted some Chimayo and Purple Serrano from seeds I received from fiedlermeister four years ago. Actually, I also sprouted seeds from a seed co. I got in 2003.

If your seed is rotting it's either too much moisture or really old bad seed to begin with.

If you're below zone 5 or 6, then you should be able to start now and get a harvest from most non-chinense varieties.

FWIW

Bill

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 10:12PM
ottawapepper

Also, it would be helpful to know, as Rudy asked, "what is your sprouting method"?

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 10:32PM
chilemilio

i agree that three years is not that old for seeds. if you stil want to use what you have, maybe try soaking the seeds in some vinegar with a little bit of water, then air dry.. that should help kill any fungus and bad bacteria.
Goodluck, -E

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
Effect of Temperatures, Day Length, Rain/Moist'r on . Peppers.
Title speaks for itself, to some extent. But let's...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
Do Habs take longer to germinate?
I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost...
ozzy2001
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™