What's eating my butterfly bush

bigbillJune 9, 2007

I planted two butterfly bushes early this year. One is about 5 feet tall and the other is less than a foot tall. Just after planting them, something ate one of them almost down to the roots. Left nothing on the ground. I was able to salvage it by fertilizing and watering it and last weekend it was back up to about 3 feet tall and blooming. The other evening I went out and it almost gone again, this time its about 8" tall with only a few leaves left. What eats the leaves and the stems? The one that's now been eaten twice is next to my woodpile. I am pretty sure there are no rabbits in the yard anymore as I have been exporting them to a local park. Latly I have only caught a skunk in my live trap. (but thats another story) I know there are squirrels back behind my fence and I have seen an opposum on my wall last year. I would imagine there are rats in the woodpile but I haven't seen any signs of them this year. Anyone know what animal eats butterfly bush where it looks like someone went at it with clippers?

Thanks,

Bill

San Diego

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Do you have deer, too?

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 1:45AM
botanybob(Northern Idaho)

Are there any footprints around the plant? I would suspect deer also.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 6:11PM
lilia_gardener

Hi Bill, you posted back in June of 07' about an animal eating your butterfly bush. Did you ever figure out what it was. I have a 2 year old beautiful butterfly bush that is being mutilated a little at a time every night. I set out a cage trap with apples in it and this critter manages to eat the fruit with out setting the trap every time. I'm thinking it is a very light animal. The bush is 5 ft high and it climbs the branches and strips them and then cuts off the branch and hauls it away. Would love to know if you had any luck finding out what it was eating yours.

Thanks

Lilia
Poway

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 4:33PM
mjones467_cox_net

I am having the same problem. There are rats and squirrels in the area, and I suspect it is one of the two. It is puzzling and irritating to say the least. This is the first time in 22 years that there are squirrels in the neighborhood. I am going to get a trap and see what I catch.

Mike
Spring Valley

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 7:41PM
three4rd

From what I've been reading, butterfly bush is one of the plants that deer DON"T like to eat. I've been researching this since something munched on and broke parts of my bush recently.

Bookmark   September 10, 2014 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
Miscoscopic silver insect
Hi, I need help for an identification. I found them...
MerlinMerlin
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Best organic pesticide for house plant soil?
Best organic pesticide for house plant soil? I currently...
algar32
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Help! My Coleus Has Yellowing, Dying Leaves
I have an unknown variety of coleus; spent last summer...
linuschris
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting | Monaco 5 Light Chandelier
$759.00 | YLighting
Pendant Lighting Wooden Weave Bird Nest Home Lamps
ParrotUncle
4-foot Extra Full Green Smilax Decorative Plant
Overstock.com
Unsa Bath Bar by Elan Lighting
$242.00 | Lumens
Essex Satin Nickel Blue Blown Case Glass One-Light LED Mini Pendant
$217.80 | Bellacor