How do i stop this

massimo(5b)April 14, 2014

I got 2 cuttings today and on each cutting a branch was rotting so i cut it off today and noticed its pretty bad. How do i stop the rotting from spreading to the whole cutting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
massimo(5b)

Here's more pics

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 6:30PM
elucas101(8)

Hi there- unfortunately your only chance is to cut back until you see clean white wood. Sterilize your shears with rubbing alcohol in between cuts. You will most likely be cutting below the joints there...keep it out of moisture until the cuts heal...is the base still firm? Sorry that happened :( sometimes it can be hard to stop the rot, sometimes it works just fine. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 9:40PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

I take an exacto knife and dig out the black. Wipe the blade with alcohol and make one more thin cut. Let it dry completely and then seal with DAP Alex plus (cedar tan) or DAP Dynaflex 230 (brown) using a spoon or tongue depressor to spread evenly. (sorry picture came out upside down)

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 11:30PM
massimo(5b)

Hi elucas101 and tdogdad thanks for the info.

The tips and the base of the cuttings are firm and healthy its just that one spot on both cuttings that are rotting. This morning before i went to work i sprinkled some cinnamon hoping it will do something even tho i knew i was just wasting my time. I'm gonna try tdogdad method and see what happens.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
OT White Beach In Southern Cali?
I think I need to put Visine in my eyes.. Did I just...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
scale
Laura and Peg...is this the scale my husband thinks...
rox146
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™