I know it's friend, but what kind?

montanadolphinJune 29, 2011

I have mantids every year, and I love them. When I find them on my honeysuckle or azaleas, I relocate them to my garden. This year, however, I found one I've never seen before. I have Chinese and European mantids, but none of them have ever had a peach colored abdomen underneath. Does anyone know what KIND of praying mantis this is? Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

She is very beautiful, but I don't know what species.

I can't have mantids in my gardens, which are mostly flowering perennials and attract a huge number of bees, butterflies, moths, and other pollinators. And they don't stay in the vegetable garden if I put them there, darn it.

I do NOT like seeing piles of butterfly wings on the ground under a bunch of echinacea, if you know what I mean.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 4:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
montanadolphin

Oh, yes I completely understand what you mean. I do like having less squash bugs and borers, though. And so far I have not had any problem with my vegetable flowers bearing fruit...there's no way the praying mantids could possibly eat enough butterflies and bees to keep those numbers down. When I relocate them in my garden, I put them in the squash and cucumber area, and some in my corn...haven't had any luck with them yet in the corn, I still am plagued with corn worms in my ears every year, but I have noticed quite an improvement with my squash and cucumbers.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™