Request for insect identification again

chilliwin(EU DK 7)June 14, 2013

Today I found this insects by chance. I saw one of the Rocoto leaves got bruise and I thought it would be due to the today's very strong wind. All my plants specially super hot chilies with big leaves could not stand the wind. When I checked the leave I found this small green insect under the leave, the size is half size of an aphid and the body looks like harder than an aphid, it moves faster than an aphid too. I think it is not an aphid.

The picture is not very clear because it is very small and my camera phone is not good enough to take such type of small insect. Please help me to identify this insect.

Thanks in advance.

Caelian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woohooman

Caelian: I think you'll need to enlarge the photo a tad. MSPaint or photoshop is what I use.

Kevin

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:37PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Kevin, thank you for the advice.

I tried different sizes but I cannot make it clear.

Caelian

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 5:46AM
woohooman

hmm... that is tiny. Hope you get some help..
:)

Kevin

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 1:36PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Kevin, just I tried. I do not see any of them now and I do not like to see them again.
:-)

Caelian

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 3:27PM
nytelightning

I have these all over my petunias. I've been searching the internet for identification for over a week. The majority of them are on the under side of the leaves. They are so small that I can't even take a picture of them.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 9:54AM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Are they doing something harmful to your plants? Sometimes it is not easy to find the identity of the insects.

The one I found has gone, just it used my plant as a transit lounge
:-)

Caelian

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 10:43AM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Now I got a bit better pictures, my hedge is infested with these insects but I have not seen them in my container plants. The color of these insects is slightly green cream color, the body is not very soft, harder than a mosquito. It moves very fast and almost like jump.

The time for hedge trimming coming and I am worry about all these insects. The hedge has no sign of any damage. I would like to get some information about these insects are they harmful to my chili, cabbage and tomato plants? I do not think they are whitefly, I saw some pictures of it in Google, but I am not sure and I do not have much experiences on insect identities.

Thanks in advance.

Caelian

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 3:13PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Caelian, now THAT'S a picture we can work with! Your insect is one of the many species of leafhoppers and they can be a pest of many of our crops.

Do a Google Images search and you might be able to spot your critter. It sure looks like the very common Potato Leafhopper, a pest of many different kinds of plants.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 6:36PM
LKZZ(7b)

Yes - leafhopper.
They are so annoying this season!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pests in Gardens and Landscapes

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 2:09PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Rhizo and LKZZ thank you for the feedback and the link. Yes THAT's leafhoppers. My problems is how to eradicate them all because my hedge is so dense and I saw a lot of them there. My container plants are not very far from the hedge. If I trimmed the hedge their next nest would be my container plants.

Any tips to destroy them will be very much appreciated.

Caelian

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™