Leaf Color v Flower Color

kobe3April 27, 2011

Does the leaf color indicate what the flower color will be on seedlings? I have some seedlings that are now about 2 years old and a few of them have dark plum colored leaves, they are seedlings of: Pinwheel Rainbow, Waimea, Many Moragne & Violet. I know these seedlings are all from colored parents but other seedlings from the same stock are the normal lovely color of green. Am I right to be getting excited that my plum colored seedlings might throw a very dark flower?

Regards,

Heather.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jandey1(TX8)

Hi Heather,

I have the same going on with my seedlings--of six varieties I have observed the dark plum-colored leaves on some, but not all, of the seedlings of: Vera Cruz Rose, Peterson's Gold, Mardi Gras and JL Tornado. Of those, only the Tornado parent has a dark colored flower so I think it's unlikely that the plum will predict the flower color. But who knows?! It'll be fun to see how these babies grow up.

Jen

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 3:01PM
kobe3

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the reply :)
It is fun watching them grow... lets hope it's not too many years before they flower. Here in Australia we are in Autumn so I have to be patient for a few months till they wake up.

How old are your seedlings?

Heather

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 6:09PM
jandey1(TX8)

My seedlings are all between 5-7 months old and range anywhere from 9 inches tall down to barely 2 inches. The Mardi Gras look like they've hardly grown at all while the Vera Cruz Rose are growing into behemoths! There are some varieties, too, that seem to have wide variation amongst themselves. What cool Aussie varieties are you growing?

To be optimistic, I did see a couple of people here and there say they had inflos coming up on seedlings as young as 1 or 1-1/2 years old! We can dream, can't we?

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 2:49PM
kobe3

My oldest seedlings have just turned 3 years old, one of them (fireworks) is about 2 foot tall and has the main trunk as well as 3 branches coming out from the trunk. It sprouted these branches low down on the trunk at an early age. I have another seedling (Red Ruby) that is only 5 months old and it is doing the same, quite exciting :)
Most of my seedlings are grown from seeds purchased overseas, they are:
Marmalade Dream, Kona, Ammerons Curly White, Dane, Waimea, Ngam Prompt, Scott Pratt, Calcutta Star, Jenny Pink, Morange 78, Red Morangne, Choko Delight, India Hybrid, Violet Star Shape, Donald Angus, Manini, Wildfire, and a few others.
I'm REALLY hoping some of the bigger ones will flower when the weather warms up again.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 7:03PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

I have noticed that my darkest reds tend to have purple leaves.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
More questions.....
So... I have had my Plumerias down the basement for...
scott_madison
what do you think of the callus?
The three on the left are hard and appear to be good...
plumeriai45
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
Siam Red Showing It Is Still Awake...
Hello Everyone!!! I just wanted to post a pic of Siam...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™