Bugs on mandevilla

voiceofsdJune 6, 2010

We just planted a bunch of beautiful mandevilla vines...we have these little bugs on them and they multiply. Does anyone know of a safe way to get rid of them for good?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Neem oil reapplied weekly. Someone will probably say hose them off with water but water doesn't kill them and they will probably find their way back to the plant.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 3:53PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

They're aphids.

Squish. Wash off. Or spray -- directs hits, please. (Insecticidal soap will work.)

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 5:06PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

And don't worry about them finding their way back to the plant. They aren't that mobile. You'll need to keep after them, I'm afraid to say. You never get rid of aphids 'for good'. Your goal will be simply to keep the population down to a minimum. Aphids have lots of predators and parasites to worry about, too, and if you do your part you shouldn't be bothered by them too much.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 11:40PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

You might find that vine had too much N in the pot and will have fewer bugs once in the ground for a while (and provided you don't overfertilize). Most pests you never get rid of 'for good', but insecticidal soap made at home with a little veg oil and some cayenne (many recipes on this thread) will repel them for a while.

Dan

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™