Bug ID please (with pic)

christinmk z5b eastern WAJune 9, 2011

Hey there! Hoping someone could tell me what these bugs are and if they are "bad". Last week I found a couple on a peony and squashed them. The buds of the peony were getting eaten (sometimes all of it, sometimes just a circular hole or start of one) so I figured these were the culprits. Yes?

Today I found several dozen living (and mating, lol) on a nearby columbine. I figured I better find out what these things are quick before they lay more eggs!

So are they 'bad' bugs? Should I get rid of them and if so HOW? Pinch off like I did before? I try not to use chemical sprays unless it is a serious problem...

Thanks for any help!

CMK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan Staley

Those look like maybe first or second instars of some sort of stink bug from here.

Dan

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 5:00PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Since they're in the mating game, they're adults...but I'd be hard pressed to call these Coleoptera or Hemiptera.

It would be easy if we had a close-up of one of these things, hint hint. If one of the flower beetles (Coleoptera), they could be responsible for the holes in the petals. If stinkbug, true bug (Hemiptera), not.

Catch one, toss it in a cup of rubbing alcohol for a few minutes (or in the freezer) and take a picture.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 10:49PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I meant: I'd be hard pressed to decide WHICH to call them.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 1:44PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Sorry I can't get a closer pic than that. Hopefully they arn't any sort of good bug...last night I went and picked them all off and dunked them in soapy water/squashed them ;-) Not sure if it helps, but their length is right around 1/2 a cm. They also have a strange cilantro like scent when crushed?? Lol, I probably sound crazy, but that is what it smelled like!

Thanks for the possilbe ID's guys...
CMK

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Rabbit catch and release
I've researched all options for removing the rabbit...
beryl469
Sponsored Products
Bistro Treat Jar
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Linon TT04 Trio Area Rug - Gold - RUG-TT0457
$36.00 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Tuscano Sideboard in Biscotti - 34007-26
Great Furniture Deal
Sample-Filigree Maize Marble Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
"Devin" Settee - YELLOW PATTERN
$2,299.00 | Horchow