Windmill Problem (SOS)

HardyPalmFreak((7b)(Bronx, NY))July 10, 2012

I have a large windmill in a pot that has completely stopped growing. I tugged lightly on the emerging frond and it is firm. The palm is all green and I don't think it's root rot because non of the fronds have turned brown and the dirt is dry and the pot is not loaded (heavy) with water. I don't know what is wrong. How do I get my palm out of PAUSE mode?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

You have not given enough info to answer this question. In particular, we would need to know the following:

1.) How much sun is the plant getting?

2.) Is this being grown inside/outside?

3.) Do you feed it and if so, what?

4.) What kind of soil is it in?

5.) Why is the soil dry? -this time of year, it should be moist. I water my outside, containerized ones every day now, and the ones in the ground get hosed down a few times per week now that we are in a degree of drought.

6.) What are temps like?--Trachys do slow down if not stop in very high heat.

7.) If it is in a pot does it need a larger container?

Also, try to post a picture if you can.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 7:11PM
wetsuiter(7b/8a)

Plant it in the ground?

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 7:45PM
HardyPalmFreak((7b)(Bronx, NY))

Full sun, outside, miracle for shake n feed for palms, soil: miracle grow moisture control, it doesn't need a larger container, I think the 95 and higher degree days may have played a role in this then, I try and water it once everyday (I just don't like watering too much because I get water happy and then water too much. I've lost many palms from root rot. I will try to post a pic.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 7:52PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Definitely post a pic, that would help a lot! Trachys seem to grow VERY slow in pots. I got a seedling in 2007 and it's still in the original container (definitely needs to be repotted, but I like the fact that it's not too big). It's a slow grower although in recent years it has been growing faster for whatever reason.
Sounds like your doing everything right. I usually water my potted palms once a day in the summer time but I do skip some days without any ill effects.
Hope it survives!
-Alex

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 8:23PM
InsanePalmNinja

A Few my Newest windmill Palms are starting to Turn yellow am not sure why I think its older leaves but it has not been Really Pushing out leaves as it used too. I Would put a Photo up but I have Dorid X2 so I been Haveing Problems with it.

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
When to fertilize palm trees after transplanting
I have planted 5 gorgeous Canary Island palm trees...
callecovina
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™