Potting a Chinese fan palm

drich30099July 5, 2012

Hi, last yr. i purchased a chinese fan palm and it's still in it's little plastic, black pot. It seems to be extremely root bound and needs watering everky day due to our very hot temps. My question is, is it ok to repot it? I wanted to make sure since palms like to be rootbound. Can i repot into a much larger pot or do I have to go just one size up in pots.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Well, as long as you don't overwater it, and you use some kind of mix that is well-aerated and perhaps a bit on the "gritty" side, I don't see any problem with potting it up to something bigger, even quite a bit bigger. They are tough critters, I've tried to kill mine multiple times by freezing, drying, etc., and it just thrives.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 8:31PM
bradleyo_gw

Repot it right this second! I've never left a potted palm in their original container for more than a couple of days. If it's rootbound, it definitely needs to go in a much larger pot no matter the time of year. I don't care about what anybody says about palms liking to be rootbound. I don't know of any plant that can possibly stay healthy in a pot with no soil! Watering once a day is unhealthy. That's something only nurseries do, or in climates that are hot with fast draining sandy soil. If it's in a 1 gallon pot, put it in at least a 3-5, if it's in a 3, put it in at least a 7, if it's in a 5, put it in a 15 ASAP.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 11:33PM
drich30099

Thanks, can't wait to repot!

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 11:44PM
bradleyo_gw

Just make sure you don't disturb the roots! Most palms don't tolerate root disturbance.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 6:59AM
cearbhaill

I disagree about root disturbance- after this amount of time you likely have severely circled roots and you will need to prune a few to get things straightened out.
I have done this many, many times and have even transported large palms bareroot. As long as you keep them moist and shaded during the process (and a few days after) it can be a most beneficial thing to do.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 7:24AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Definitely repot! I had mine in its nursury pot for about a year and then in 2010 I planted it in the ground. It gets damaged even with protection, but recovers very fast and looks healthier than in a pot! They are slow growing and dont get very tall for many years in full sun.
-Alex

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
growing Dypsis lutescens indoors bad idea?
I hear they are really bad indoor plants, What is ideal...
YouthGarden
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™