3.5 tons of horse poop

mbellotApril 23, 2012

Just had to share my muscle numbing pain for today. :)

I moved ~ 7 yards of composted horse manure into the garden this afternoon. According to the guy I got it from it runs ~ one ton per two yards, so seven yards weighs in right around 3.5 tons.

I sure hope the plants appreciate all the effort. LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esox07

I appreciate that it was you and not me.
Bruce

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 1:05AM
sandysgardens

How big is your garden measured XXft by XXft? I'm thinking of getting some but don't know how much. I don't want to over or under do it.

Thanks

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 8:19AM
reginald_25(5)

How big is your garden measured XXft by XXft? I'm thinking of getting some but don't know how much. I don't want to over or under do it.It is rather hard to "overdo" it with the horse. With the horse (or any livestock manure), nutrient values can vary widely mainly by virtue of bedding type and bedding amounts included in the mix. The nutrients in the horse I fetch are rather greatly diluted with sawdust and wood shavings... too much carbon. But it still eventually tosses off a lot of the carbon with decomposition. As for quantity, I try to apply at least 4#/sq ft every season. This season I grabbed ~20 tons of it for a 4000 sq foot application or 10#/sq ft. Also in the matrix is chicken litter applied at ~0.60 lbs/sq ft. (comp. to a ballpark figure of ~0.15 lbs/sq ft for a commercial farm). Never had any issues with "burning" plants from too hi a concentration of N (greatly contributed by breakdown of urea). But I am careful not to apply much poultry litter directly to plants.

Reggie

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 9:44AM
mbellot

Sandy,

I was filling a "hole", so I knew approximately how much I needed. L x W x D to get cubic feet and then divide by 27 to get cubic yards. I was adding ~6" of fill to a 24x16 raised bed.

If you're only looking to amend for nutrients and not add a lot of bulk I would shoot for 1-2" of depth.

Make sure you get manure that is already composted.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 11:04AM
ottawapepper

Hey mbellot,

I'm with Bruce... appreciate it was you and not me!

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 7:07PM
mbellot

Bill - Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Especially if the wife says so...

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™