Ingredients for pepper spray, minus the pepper

jenraider72June 25, 2012

This will probably sound stupid, but here goes...So after trying Havaheart spray, I thought I'd make my own repellent spray for rabbit/chipmunk/whatever else is eating stuff(caught skunk on surveillance camera at 4 am yesterday). Mostly Hostas and lilies are the main victims. So, according to recipe online, I mixed Ivory dish soap, cayenne pepper and hot sauce together with water in a spray bottle to apply to plants. One problem- the pepper I am guessing- clogs the nozzle and renders the spray action useless. I tried 2 other bottles to no avail. Can I just omit the cayenne and get an effective spray with just the other items, or is there something I am missing as far as getting the original formula to flow through the bottles. I actually just received a bottle of Shake Away today. I'll apply that as well, but these plants need all the protection I can give them.I don't want to harm the lilies or the critters who I know are just "doing what they do".

I have new lilies just starting to come up, and I fear they will meet the same fate as the 23 other lilies if I don't find a solution quickly. Thanks for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

spray bottle???

versus a pump tank sprayer for under $10 ???

ken

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 6:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenraider72

Well, this was on a whim, and I already had many spray bottles. Since I've already bought the Havaheart and now the Shake Away, I thought I'd try a home remedy. The website did say to just mix it up and put it in a spray bottle. However, since you mentioned it, I do have 2 garden mister/sprayers with adjustable streams. They have the pump top and did cost more than $10. each. I tried them as well, to no avail. Just thought there might be a way to make something right away, and without spending more money than what I've already put into the other repellents. I was just wondering how effective this concoction might be without using the actual cayenne.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
Best organic pesticide for house plant soil?
Best organic pesticide for house plant soil? I currently...
algar32
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Sponsored Products
Meow Treat Jar
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Compartes 10-pc. Holiday Nougat
$25.00 | FRONTGATE
Homelegance Archstone Counter Height Chair w/ Black Bi-Cast Vinyl [Set of 2]
Beyond Stores
Sergeants Pet Care Products Natures Guardians Hairball Remedy - 0860-5867
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Ninja BL201 Kitchen System Pulse with 2 Single Serve Jars - 622356531399
$79.99 | Hayneedle